Tuesday, March 12, 2013

A Hidden Truth by Judith Miller

I was excited to read A Hidden Truth by Judith Miller because the setting is in the Amana Colonies, which is near my home.  In the novel, Dovie comes to visit Amana, hoping to find out more about her deceased mother, who grew up in the colonies. She comes to stay with her aunt, uncle, and cousin. However, she finds that it is harder than she hoped to find any answers about her mother's past. I found the historical information and culture of the Amana Colonies to be very interesting, but honestly the plot just did not grab me. I took me a looong time to get through this book (although I must confess this may have a little to do with having a new baby). I was interested in finding out how the plot was resolved, but it seemed like a lot of the details in between were somewhat tedious. There were two love stories interwoven into the plot, but they were lacking in emotion.

Overall, this book was just ok. I would recommend it to anyone interested in the Amana Colonies, but warn them that they may find the plot a little boring.

I was given a free copy of this book to review through the Bethany House Book Review Program. I would like to thank Bethany House for the opportunity.

~ Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment